April 5, 2010

Day 4 My Favorite Book

Stillwatch by Mary Higgins Clark

I remember reading it when I was 13 or 14 and while babysitting my cousin.  He was taking a nap and this book was part of my aunt's collection.  I always loved reading and so it was natural for me to choose to read during my free time instead of watching TV.  I had also always loved mysteries since the 3rd grade when I was introduced to Nancy Drew and the Hardy Boys.  Stillwatch seemed like the perfect choice for a dark afternoon.

The book was perfect for me.  I loved the main character Pat Traymore.  She was everything that I wanted to be at that age.  She lived on the East Coast, was smart, well educated and had an awesome thriving career.  I loved all of the intrigue and suspense.  I could not put the book down. 

After reading this I became a Mary Higgins Clark fan and have read all of her books.  I love how in all of her books the main character/heroine is such a strong female character.  That really appealed to me during my teenage years.  I wanted to experience life outside of Utah.  I wanted a career that I could be successful in and satisfy all of my ambitious designs.  The women in her books showed me that this was possible.  I feel that these books helped to shape my desires and did influence who I have become.  

No comments: